Food for Fitness
Advice for Children and Young People
Some Helpful Tips
||Have breakfast, lunch and an evening meal. Missing meals will make you hungry and yo umay overeat at your next meal or snack.|
||Have smaller portions of foods. Try using a smaller plate. Fill up on vegetables and/or salads.|
||Fats are high in calories. Reduce how often you have crisps and chips and only have take-aways occasionally.|
||Choose sugar free drinks, squashes, jellies. Try not to have sweets, pop, chocolate, biscuits, cake and puddings everyday.|
||If you are hungry, try fresh fruit, raw vegetables (e.g. carrot, celery, cucumber) or a suhar free drink.|
||Everyday activities can help control your weight, such as walking, skipping and playing out. Aim to increase the amount of time you spend being active.|
||Don't spend all your pocket money on sweets, crisps, chocolate or pop. Why not spend it on mobile phone top-up cards, magazines or stickers instead or you could save up for CD/DVDs, books, games or cinema visits.|
Regular meals are important
Don't forget Breakfast!
- Cereal with semi-skimmed milk and no sugar. You could try adding a powdered/granulated sweetener
- Toast with low fat spread and a glass of semi-skimmed milk
- Boiled, poached or scrambled egg on toast
- Beans on toast
- Banana sandwich
- Low fat cheese triangles on toast
Main meal ideas
- Grilled burgers, chops, sausages, of fish fingers, your favourite vegetables and jacket or mashed potato
- Meat/vegetable/dahl curry with chapatti or rice and salad
- Shepherds pie or spaghetti bolognaise or chilli, with vegetables or salad
Quick Meal Ideas
- Sandwich with low fat margarine, salad and grated cheese or lean meat
- Jacket potato with beans, low fat cheese, tuna or low fat coleslaw
- Soup and bread
- Small slice of pizza with vegetables or salad
- Fruit e.g. banana, apple, pear
- Raw vegetables e.g. carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes,
- Semi-skimmed milk
- Low fat or diet yoghurt
- Slice of bread/toast with low fat margarine and jam
- Small bowl of breakfast cereal and semi-skimmed milk, no sugar.
- No added sugar instant whip
- Diet Yoghurt
- Tinned fruit in juice
- Low fat rice pudding
- Low fat custard
- Plain/fruit scone with a thin spread of low fat margarine
- Try diet pop, low calorie squash, skimmed or semi-skimmed milk or even water!
- If you don't like to drink milk, remember to include diet/low fat custard/rice pudding and low fat cheese in your diet. This will help you to get enough calcium
Questions and Answers
Q. Is it ok to skip breakfast?
A. No. Your body needs regular meals including breakfast. Having breakfast will help you to concentrate at school or college.
My favourite breakfast is....................................
Remember - Breakfast boosts brain power
Q. Does that mean eating breakfast makes you clever?
A. Maybe not clever, but it does help you think and stops grumbling tummies.
Q. Do i have to eat fruit and vegetables?
A. Yes, fruit and vegetables are good for us. They make us bright and lively. We need tp eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day. There are lots of different types of fruit and vegetables. Why not try ones you haven'e eaten before?
Q. What is a portion of fruit and vegetables?
A. A portion of fruit or vegetable is the amount that will fit in your hand.
Q. Do i have to eat vegetables?
A. Yes, but only the ones you like. Eating vegetetables is good for us.
How many portions have you had so far today?.........
My favourite vegetable is......................................
My favourite fruit is.............................................
Q. I don't eat meat or fish, is there anything else that i need to eat instead?
A. Meat is a good source of protein and iron. You need to replace this with alternative sources such as egg, cheese, lentils, chickpeas, nuts, soya or qourn products.
Q. What should i have to drink?
A. Choose sugar free drinks such as sugar free squash, 'diet' or 'zero' fizzy drinks or you could drink plain water, semi-skimmed milk or tea/coffee without sugar.
Did you know that you are 62% water? Well it's true. Just as well you aren't a cucumber, they're 97% water. We all need to drink plenty. Aim for 6-8 cups per day.
My favourite drink is............................................
Q. Help! Im starving, what can i do?
A. If you are really hungry, try eating fresh fruit or veggie sticks. We appeal on behalf of your teeth...keep your sweet stuff to a meal.
Create link to teen weight wise quiz.
Q. Why should i do exercise?
A. Being active is just as important as eating the right foods. Children should try to do 1 hour of activity a day. This can be broken down into smaller time chuncks e.g. 3 lots of 20mins activity. You could you local leisure centre or library for details of activities in your local area.