Intensive Care Unit Patients
About Our Services
We offer psychological support services to Intensive Care Unit (ICU) patients, relatives/friends and staff, working in partnership with the ICU team:
- To address psychological need in patients across the illness journey, from their stay on ICU through discharge home
- To offer follow up services for patients post-ICU in conjunction with the ICU Outreach Team
- To provide emotional support to patients' relatives and friends and to provide follow up assessment and intervention when appropriate
- To provide support, consultation and training to ICU staff and develop psychological care in conjunction with staff
Reasons for referral
Examples of psychological problems include –
- Low mood or depression
- Anxiety, fear or panic states
- Anger, aggression
- Adjustment to illness, disability
- Hallucinations, delusional experiences on ICU (patients only)
- Bereavement, loss or grief issues
- Relationship issues
- Traumatic stress
- Amnesia/fragmented memories
In-patient referrals and referrals for relatives are accepted from ICU staff and hospital consultants. Out-patient referrals can be received from GPs.
Where We Provide Services
In-patients are seen either within ICU or on the general wards. Out-patients will be seen at St Luke's Hospital. Relatives/friends will either be seen on ICU or as out-patients.
Psychological Assessment and Intervention
All patients and relatives will be assessed as to the nature of the psychological problem and the need for intervention. Assessment may take place whilst the patient is within the hospital, and the psychologists will consult with staff to meet the needs of the patient whilst they are recovering from their illness.
Specific interventions will be tailored to the needs of the person and will often take place within an out-patient setting (i.e. once the person's physical needs have been addressed). Examples of interventions include debriefing; cognitive-behavioural therapy for anxiety, depression or PTSD; counselling for grief and loss issues.
In-patients will be seen as a matter of urgency and therefore contact will normally be made with staff within one working day of the referral being received.
There is currently no waiting list for out-patient referrals, an appointment will be sent as soon as possible.
Further information can be obtained from:
St Lukes Hospital
Little Horton Lane
Telephone: 01274 365176
Fax: 01274 365177