About Our Services
Psychology services are offered to both renal patients and their families. We work together with the renal multi-disciplinary team, to offer holistic patient care. Psychological assessments are offered as part of the process prior to transplant.
Referrals are taken for patients and/or families, for psychological issues related to the renal problem.
Referrals will be accepted from any professional member of staff on the renal unit or ward. However, it is preferable that the referral has been discussed with the named Consultant wherever possible. Referral forms will be located on the Renal Unit and ward.
Referrals from GP's are welcome.
Reasons for Referral
- Low mood or depression
- Anxiety, fear, panic or phobias
- Anger, aggression
- Difficulties adjusting to, or coping with, the diagnosis and/or the treatment regime
- Bereavement, loss or grief issues
- Relationship issues, sexual problems
- Trauma reactions
- Body image changes
- Cognitive changes e.g. memory or concentration problems
Transplant related referrals include –
- Psycho-social assessment for transplantation (in conjunction with the renal team)
- Psychological support/intervention for patients or relatives undergoing the transplant process
- Assessment and intervention post-transplant
Where We Provide services
Outpatients are usually seen at St Luke's Hospital either in the Psychology Department, the Renal Unit or in the outpatient clinic within Horton Wing.
Some patients may prefer to be seen whilst being dialysed in which case an effort will be made to secure a side room on the renal unit on the day of their appointment. In some cases domiciliary Visits will be made.
In-patients are usually seen on Ward F2 at St Lukes Hospital.
Patients are assessed thoroughly, and if required a course of treatment is agreed with them. The type of treatment offered to the patient or carer depends on individual need but may include:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Supportive Therapy
- Integrated Approaches
Outpatient appointments are available Tuesday to Friday, between 9.00am and 4.00pm. Inpatient services are also available Tuesday to Friday.
Out-patient referrals will be sent an appointment as soon as possible (usually within 4 weeks) and the referrer will be notified. In-patient referrals will be seen as soon as possible, within five working days.
For more information contact
St Luke's Hospital
Tel 01274 365176
Fax 01274 365177