- The NHS does not provide wheelchairs for the following reasons:
- School use only
- Work use only
- Sporting activities only
- In place of suitable static seating
- Transportation purposes only
- Children who can be accommodated in a standard retail buggy
- Electrically Powered wheelchairs for outdoor use only
- Scooters of any description
- All wheelchairs are provided on the basis of clinical need.
- All clients must accept the terms and conditions of their wheelchair loan, as stated in the delivery advice.
- New referrals for a wheelchair will be accepted upon receipt of a completed Wheelchair Application Form.
- The Wheelchair Application Form must be completed in full by a qualified health care professional. (GP, Consultant, DN, Therapist) Forms completed by health care assistants (unless countersigned), or family members will not be accepted. Incomplete forms may cause a delay in the process wheelchair provision
- A new Application Form does not need to be completed for existing clients who; due to a change in their clincal condition require a re-assessment of their wheelchair needs, a phone call to the wheelchair service on 01274 322555 is all that is needed. A healthcare professional, family member or carer on the client's behalf can do this.
- The NHS wheelchair Voucher Scheme for non-powered wheelchairs is available to all users.